Nurse Practitioner also referred to as Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner is basically a Registered nurse having advanced training in diagnosing and treating various ailments and injuries. They are employed in hospitals and nursing homes based in both rural as well as urban areas.
They usually handle the patients who do not require any advanced medical help; they take care of such patients on their own without seeking any help from the doctors. They are required to make use of various medical equipments and machines in order to conduct various tests and give medical aid to the patients. They may specialize in different medical practices such as pain management, psychiatry, pediatrics, etc.
Nurse Practitioner Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a Nurse Practitioner include:
- Nurse Practitioner is involved in diagnosing the patient’s problems and performing treatment to cure them.
- Nurse Practitioner may be required to carry out treatments without the help of doctors.
- Nurse Practitioner is required to prescribe medicines to the patients and also ensure that they take the medicines on time.
- Nurse Practitioner is required to make use of various medical tools and equipments in order to provide the necessary medical care to the patients.
- Nurse Practitioner needs to stay updated with the latest information about the medical facilities and processes.
- Nurse Practitioner is required to look at issues like economic, social and family dynamics.
- Nurse Practitioner is mostly required to work in family practice.
- Nurse Practitioner may also assist the doctors in complex cases where they follow the doctor’s instructions and perform various tasks accordingly.
- Nurse Practitioner needs to ensure that the patients are being given good nursing care.
- Nurse Practitioner may give instructions to the nursing staff for carrying out various tasks.
Nurse Practitioner Skills and Specifications
Nurse Practitioner needs to have certain skills and specifications. These are as follows:
- Nurse Practitioner should have good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Nurse Practitioner must have thorough knowledge about the various medical processes and procedures.
Nurse Practitioner Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for a Nurse Practitioner are as follows:
- A High School Diploma
- Degree from an accredited nurse practitioner program
- Valid license as a registered nurse
- Should clear the certification exam for qualifying as a nurse practitioner
Nurse Practitioner Salary
The average annual salary of a Nurse Practitioner is around …………… The salary may vary from employer to employer and also based on the degrees and certificates one holds.