Recreation Therapist Job Description and Profile
Under general supervision, the job of Recreation Therapist entails planning, organizing and supervising recreation programs that are approved medically for psychiatric patients. He monitors as well as checks overall progress of patients. Recreational Therapists oversee specific treatment and program direction for clients who are assigned to receive recreational therapy. The Recreation Therapist performs related tasks and duties required of him to do.
Duties and Specifications
- Plans and oversees day-to-day activity programs meant for psychiatric and mental patients.
- Observes behavior of patient for important signs of illness or health and report them to medical staff.
- Heads group and individual recreational therapy meetings and sessions.
- Oversees group trips and tours outside psychiatric facility.
- Provides for welfare and safety of patient during recreational therapy sessions.
- Provides instructions and overall supervision of use of equipment by patients.
- Assists in the overall development of initial assessment, goals and treatment plans of patients.
- Chooses appropriate activities intended to be used for diagnosis and treatment.
- Assists patients in establishment of treatment plans and goals.
- Creates reports on patients’ initial assessment, regression or progress.
- Oversees and makes recommendation in the purchase of tools and equipment for recreational therapy.
Skills and Specifications
- Able to assess, supervise and organize recreational therapy programs meant for clients.
- Must be able to assess and check treatment regression or progress.
- Be able to lead one-on-one or group sessions.
- Must plan and oversee community outings.
- Be able to help patients in the establishment and attainment of realistic treatment plans and goals.
- Must know how to effectively write and speak.
- Be able to keep and maintain accurate records.
Education and Qualifications
- Possesses bachelor’s degree in the course on recreation therapy or studies.
- Those appointed must be able to obtain recreation therapist certification within a year of appointment.
- Possesses valid State Driver’s License (Class C)