Radiology Technician Job Profile and Description
A radiology technician is an individual who is responsible for assisting the radiologist physician in order to process image and diagnose illness. They have to ensure that the best quality image is obtained and at the same time make the patients safe and comfortable.
A radiology technician may also have to sometime explain the procedure to the patients while conducting radiology. They also have to maintain the position of the patient so that the diagnosis can be done accurately and unnecessary radiation exposure is prevented.
It is also the duty of a radiology technician to review and evaluate developed x rays. They have to ensure that the magnetic imaging equipment is in proper working condition. They also have to position the imaging equipment and adjust its control to ensure exposure time and distance.
Radiology Technician Duties and Responsibilities
There are various duties and responsibilities required to be carried out by a radiology technician. They are as follows:
- Reviewing and evaluating developed x rays
- Reviewing computer generated images are satisfactory and have come out accurately
- Assisting the radiology physician in diagnosis of a patient
- Ensuring that the patient is safe and comfortable before the scanning process takes place
- Position the patient before diagnosis
- Maintaining inventory of radiology supplies and determining the inventory level
- Placing orders for supplies and verifying the receipts
- Attending technical knowledge in order to maintain technical knowledge
- Minimizing radiation to patients by using devices and patient shielding
- Preparing documents of patient care and records of the department
- Maintaining the production as well as quality of radiographs and at the same time keeping in mind established standards and procedures
- Observing the results of the radiograph and make adjustments if required
Radiology Technician Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications required in order to work as a radiology technician are as follows:
- Must possess technical skills
- Needs to be focused on quality
- Should be caring in nature
- Must have the ability to make a person feel comfortable
- Must be aware about safety measures
- Needs to be good at analyzing information
Radiology Technician Education and Qualification
The educational qualification required for a radiology technician is:
- Two year or a four year degree in radio technology
Radiology Technician Salary
The average annual salary of a radiology technician is around $58065.