Medical records personnel are required to maintain a record of the healthcare treatment being given to the patients. They are also required to prepare patient’s files where in the details about the patient’s age, blood group, gender and medical history is stored. The position of medical records personnel is vital to any healthcare center/ hospital or nursing home.
These professionals are also required to check the existing records and ensure that they are accurate and complete. The medical records also require to be updated from time to time and this is also done by the medical records personnel. It is essential to have thorough knowledge about medical terminology and procedures in order to handle this position efficiently.
Medical Records Duties and Responsibilities
Medical Records is required to manage various tasks of the organization he is working for. Some of his job duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Medical Records personnel are required to maintain a record of the patients who visit the healthcare center, nursing home or hospital where these professionals are employed.
- Medical Records personnel are required to speak to the patients and gather their details such as their age, blood group, weight, height, etc and record it in the patient’s file.
- Medical Records personnel need to maintain a record of the patient’s medical history.
- Medical Records personnel is required to prepare a record of the x ray reports, blood tests and other kinds of tests conducted.
- Medical Records personnel need to ensure that the work is done as per the company policies and procedures.
- Medical Records personnel are required to review the already prepared medical records and files of the patients and update these as and when required.
- Medical Records personnel are required to prepare medical charts for the patients.
Medical Records Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required to become a Medical Records are as follows:
- Medical Records personnel are required to have an eye for detail.
- Medical Records personnel should be skilled in maintaining accuracy.
- Medical Records personnel must have complete knowledge about the medical terminology.
Medical Records Education and Qualification
The educational qualification needed to get into the position of Medical Records is as follows:
- A High School Diploma
- An Associates’ Degree in Health Information Technology
Medical Records Salary
The average salary of Medical Records is $ 28,900. The salary may vary depending upon the company and the city the candidate is employed in and also based on the candidate’s qualification and experience.