Medical Records Technician Job Description and Profile
Under direction, the job of the medical records technician entails maintaining medical records by verifying and checking the completeness of information. The medical records technician is responsible for coding and indexing operations, diagnosis and special therapies. He likewise performs related duties and work as required of him to do.
Duties and Specifications
- Checks and keeps patient records and charts for full accuracy and completeness.
- Makes Classification and verification of codings of operations as well as diseases in accordance with the medical coding of standard classifications and nomenclature systems.
- Files, keeps, retrieves and maintains patient records in an efficient manner.
- Purges and microfilms medical records according to the policies of the department
- Creates new charts and files of patients and maintain them in useable condition.
- Perform occasional data entry work of patient and related information.
- Accesses significant information on computerized database.
- Accepts subpoenas and requests for specific medical records.
- Reviews medical file to determine the reports and records for release.
Skills and Specifications
- ble to compare names and corresponding numbers in a fast and accurate manner.
- Must be able to review any work for accuracy and completeness.
- Must be able to make appropriate decisions on procedural concerns.
- Be able to write general correspondence with the use of correct spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Must read and understand various procedures and methods for releasing medical records.
- Must know how to utilize computer keyboard to input important data and have easy access to information.
- Be able to maintain full confidentiality of medical records.
- Able to set important work priorities to meet deadlines
Education and Qualifications
- Three years of relevant experience and work on medical records; or,
- Completion of Associate in Science course in the field of medical records and at least one year of relevant experience in medical records.
- Possession of valid State Driver’s License (Class C).