Manufacturing Supervisor Job Description and Profile
The job of a manufacturing supervisor is to supervise the various aspects of production such as performance of employees, safety precautions in the production facility and formulating guidelines for better production and safety measures. He interacts with the workers and ensures that they adhere to the standards set by the company as well as the state and federal bodies. Manufacturing supervisors may have to deal with labor unions and ensure that workers are provided hygienic and safe working facilities and conditions. A manufacturing supervisor is required in all production facilities.
Manufacturing Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring that work in the industry takes place as per guidelines
- Ensuring that all safety standards are met
- Ensuring that employees perform efficiently
- Formulating guidelines and regulations for better performance of employees
- Acting as a liaison between labor and executives
- Assisting manufacturing manager in various production related duties
- Keep tabs on the raw materials procured, final goods produced and finances involved
- Training new employees in safe and high performance
- Conducting safety drills to prepare employees for emergency situations
- Conducting workshops in order to train workers in better work methods
- Ensuring that the machinery in the production house is safe and working optimally
- May have to undertake other duties as per requirements
- Ensuring that the production targets of the company are met
- Presenting monthly reports to managers and relay any requirements
- Assists lean manufacturing manager
Manufacturing Supervisor Education, Training and Qualifications
Basic high school graduation with experience of work in production sector is the basic requirements. In bigger facilities, bachelor’s degree in supervisory work might be necessary. Most of the education is on the job. However, skills such as excellent leadership and observation are very important.
Manufacturing Supervisor Degrees, Courses & Certification
Bachelor’s degree in supervisory work is the degree required in big facilities. After high school graduation, people can take up vocational courses to develop supervisory skills. This will be an added benefit in the job. Knowledge about production sector such as working of machinery is necessary in several cases.
Manufacturing Supervisor Skills and Specifications
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent observation skills
- Ability to maintain good relationships with workers
- A strong knowledge about the operations in the production facility
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good decision making and troubleshooting skills
- Good management skills
- Basic computer knowledge
Manufacturing Supervisor‘s Salary/Wage
The salary of a manufacturing supervisor ranges between $45,000 and $70,000 per annum.