Legal Nurse Consultant Job Description and Profile
The Legal Nurse Consultant is an important professional who is employed in a variety of areas and their daily work varies depending on their employment area. If the professional were employed by the hospital, he/ she would have to take cases along with continuing of nursing career full time. Other professionals might have to work for the attorney or insurance company but then the duties remain strictly the same in legal field of medical type. Legal nurse consultants mostly have to review medical records, prepare reports for the attorneys and ensure the standard of care.
Legal Nurse Consultant Duties and Responsibilities
- Screening new cases for the search of merit, locating and interviewing the medical experts.
- Serving as a liaison in between different law firms and medical experts
- Formulating the medical-legal cases, identifying divergences from the nursing standards, researching the medical literature and coordinating independent examinations of medical study.
- Managing and analyzing the plaintiff’s medical records, interpreting physician and nurse’s notes and preparing medical record charts, diagrams etc.
- Helping the attorney in preparing legal deposition through the explanation of the medical jargon.
- A Preparing witnesses or even take the stand as an expert witness all by himself if necessary.
- Spending good amount of time in the courtroom as a member of the litigation team and working on cases of different nature like that of medical personal injury, malpractice, criminal cases etc.
Legal Nurse Consultant Education, Training and Qualifications
Legal nurse consultants are registered, licensed nurses and have some degree of nursing specialty. Most of the legal nurse consultants have bachelor’s degrees in nursing and they have advanced degrees. Nurses mostly enter the field of legal nurse consulting by taking up legal consulting coursework in nursing and/or by obtaining some legal nurse consulting certification. Experience of 5 years at least of work in the related field is necessary.
Legal Nurse Consultant Job Degrees, Courses & Certification
Though certification for legal nurses is optional, it is highly recommended. The LNC certification is of great importance and if a professional can pursue it, things can be of great benefit for him/ her.
Legal Nurse Consultant Job Skills and Specifications
- Excellent communication skills
- Good presentation skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to advise people correctly on different important issues
- Good leadership and organizational abilities
- Multitasking abilities
- Good research and writing skills
Legal Nurse Consultant Job Salary/Wage
The salary of a legal consultant is $85,080 per annum. However, the salary might vary depending on the experience, expertise and the area of work to which the professional is associated with.