Health Coordinator Job Profile and Description
Health coordinators are responsible for providing supportive social services to people with certain illness. A health coordinator facilitates the occupational activities of health clinics and other health programs offered by the health care units. Health coordinator works in hospitals, surgical centers or in any health care unit. Health coordinator acts as a liaison between the patients and the doctors. He performs check up of the patients, identifies problems and also directs them to the doctors concerned with the patient’s illness.
Health Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
A health coordinator is required to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Performs health checkups and refers the patient to the concerned doctors.
- Analyses the records of the patient from the hospital or health care database and provides test-reports to the concerned doctors.
- Schedules appointments for patients and guides patients in understanding hospital procedures.
- Solves the concerns or complaints raised by the patient and also collects feedback from the patient regarding the services provided by the hospital and suggests changes to the management.
- Helps in the smooth functioning of the hospital by solving the queries of the doctors, nurses and patients related to administration of the hospital or health care unit.
Health Coordinator Skills and Specifications
A health coordinator is required to possess the following skills and specifications:
- Must be aware of the rules and regulations that are required to conduct health care programs.
- Must be able to handle pressure, good at multi-tasking and must have good planning and decision-making skills.
- Ability to interact with patients of all age groups and willingness to work at any department of the hospital or health care unit.
- Ability to understand the database system of the hospital.
- Good emotional stability and ability to guide patients on medical prescriptions that are provided by the doctors.
Health Coordinator Education and Qualification
A health coordinator is required to have the following education and qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in health education, social work, nursing or any related field.
- Certification can be obtained after passing an examination conducted by the National Association of Health Unit Coordinators.
- Relevant experience in health work can be an added advantage.
- Diploma holders are required to undergo training in hospital management for at least six months.
Health Coordinator Salary
A health coordinator is expected to earn around $56,000 per annum and the income varies depending on the geographic location where the health care coordinator finds his occupation, his qualification and the years of experience.