A health assistant is a professional health care worker who is in charge of assisting health care administrators or supervisors. He or she is responsible for ensuring that all patients are getting the required treatment. This job also requires the individual to be aware of the different business operations within the facility. Unlike the health care manager, the assistant has a more one-on-one relationship with the patients, medical staff and the non-medical staff. Hence, it is important that such an individual is able to juggle different roles from handing medical issues to legal and business issues. He or she must also cater to the different requirements of the supervisor in charge.
Health Assistant Duties and Responsibilities:
The health assistant has the following duties that are required to be fulfilled:
- He or she must be an expert at providing optimum comfort to all the patients of the hospital.
- He or she must supervise the medical and non-medical staff when and if required on behalf of the administrator.
- He or she is required to be aware of the different medical locations within the given vicinity and travel whenever the job demands one too. This can be for medical or non-medical reasons.
- He or she must look after the well being of the staff and the patients and listen and report to the supervisor for changes to be implemented.
- He or she must be adept at monitoring the patient’s details and ensuring that proper medical attention is being provided.
Health Assistant Skills and Specifications:
- Flexibility is a very important skill for the health assistant to possess. He or she will be required to do a lot of duties as and when the supervisor requires.
- Communication skills are also imperative since he or she has to keep in touch with the staff and patients and alike and take down complaints whenever necessary.
- Organizational skills are a must for such a job since a lot of the work involves creating reports for different purposes.
- Must have some knowledge in certain medical practices especially required during emergencies.
- Should have tremendous amount of patience for handling superiors and different employees in different medical departments.
Health Assistant Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in health care.
- Experience in assisting different health care professionals.
Health Assistant Salary:
The average annual salary of a health assistant is around $45,000 which can also vary depending upon the job profile.