Health and Safety Manager Job Description and Profile
Health and safety managers are required in all industries to ensure that the conditions of work are hygienic and that the workers health is secure. They have to ensure sanitation and quality of food supplied in the company. They also have to ensure that the working conditions do not cause harm to the health of workers. Their major duty is to verify whether the company runs in adherence to federal and state safety laws. Any potential threats to the safety of workers have to be duly brought to the notice of the management. Health and safety manager are either employed by companies to keep check on safety standards or by government bodies to inspect various industries for safety precautions.
Health and Safety Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspecting workplace safety measures and making sure that they are in adherence to federal and state regulations
- Ensure that basic safety precautions such as fire alarm systems, emergency exits and emergence alarms are working in proper condition
- Ensuring that the building is constructed as per safety standards
- Regular monitoring of the condition of air in industries that deal with pollutants and where a lot of dust is generated
- Making sure that the pollutant levels are within permissible limits
- Inspecting the kitchens in order to ensure hygiene in food preparation and cleaning of cookware
- Keeping meticulous records of all inspections and regularly updating the concerned bodies
- Promoting safety awareness by organizing safety and emergency drives
- Developing a strong knowledge about safety standards and their implementation strategies
Health and Safety Manager Education, Training and Qualifications
A bachelor’s degree in any branch related to health and safety such as safety management, occupational health and safety science is required. Vocational courses in health and safety management are also required. The most preferred field of study is master’s degree in public health and safety. Experience and training in inspecting various industries is a major requirement for health and safety manager.
Health and Safety Manager Degrees, Courses & Certification
Master’s degree in public health and safety is required. In addition, certification of certified safety professionals from the government body is essential for the job.
Health and Safety Manager Skills and Specifications
- Strong knowledge about safety and health
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Ability maintain good relationships with various government bodies, industries, labor unions and private health organization
- A keen eye for detail in order to perceive defects in the safety systems
- Ability to keep up to date with latest safety precautions
- Ability to travel frequently in relation with the work
Health and Safety Manager Salary/Wage
The salary of a health and safety manager ranges between $80,000 and $150,000 per annum.