Construction Safety Coordinator Job Profile and Description
A construction safety coordinator is a specialized field wherein the concerned professional inspects safety issues at a construction site. The safety coordinator has to develop safety programs, providing or identifying safety related training, overseeing adherence to construction safety norms etc.
Work performed involves considerable technical independence under the administrative procedures and polices set up by administrative superiors.
Construction Safety Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
Following are some of the typical duties and responsibilities that a construction safety coordinatoris likely to pursue:
- Performing construction site and safety inspections of all the operations and facilities.
- Providing communication and documentation of the inspections carried out including suggesting necessary corrective measures.
- Providing consultation and advice to the construction staff and assisting them to maintain a safe working environment to comply with safety regulations, practices and standards.
- Assisting the superiors to enforce the safety policy and environmental health guidelines.
- Training the construction staff on various health and safety topics.
- Providing direct technical surveillance and testing services as and when required.
Construction Safety Coordinator Skills and Specifications
Skills and specifications that a construction safety coordinator must possess include the following:
- Knowledge of construction safety that includes inspection methods, procedures and practices, modern training and teaching methods and health and safety guidelines.
- Ability to develop and deliver safety and health training programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written.
- Establishing and maintaining an effective working relationship with representatives from regulatory organizations.
- Skill in operating technical testing equipment and instruments.
- Demonstrated good interpersonal skills.
- Good judgment, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to take logical decisions.
- Detail oriented and accurate.
- Demonstrated ability for working independently under a minimal supervision.
Construction Safety Coordinator Education and Qualification
The educational qualifications that a construction safety coordinator is required to have are as follows:
- Graduation from an accredited university or college, with a degree in health and safety engineering or any related area.
- At least three years’ of work experience in discharging duties related to safety coordination at a major construction or engineering site.
Construction Safety Coordinator Salary
A construction safety coordinator can expect to earn an average annual salary of $39,730. The salary usually increases with experience. Coordinators are also often paid on hourly basis and they move from one project to another. Hourly rates vary between companies and as per regular pay scale.