Communications Manager Job Description and Profile
The job of a communications manager is to oversee all communication related activities such as public addresses, press conferences, addressing the employees, releasing press notes and all other incoming and outgoing communications from the company. He has a responsibility to uphold the brand value and reputation of the company in the market.
Communications Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing and formulating communication channels of the company
- Recognizing the target audience and formulating communications with regard to them
- Playing a major role in marketing and advertising activities by writing press releases and notes
- Formulating speeches for public addresses within and outside the company
- Playing a major role in recruitments
- Training staff in order to improve their communication skills
- Formulating speeches for senior executives that are to be used in high level meetings
- Proofreading and editing all communication articles emanating from the company
- Formulating write ups to be used in presentations in corporate events
- Training junior staff in writing and developing content for company’s use
Communications Manager Education, Training and Qualifications
A college degree is the basic requirement. The most important factor is experience in formulating high level corporate communications. He needs to upgrade his skills by attending workshops on communications.
Communications Manager Degrees, Courses & Certification
Although any college degree is accepted for the job if the applicant has good experience in corporate sales and marketing content development, the most preferred degree is a bachelor’s degree in communications, business administration and literature. A business administration graduate with experience in sales and marketing and excellent writing skills is the most preferred combination. Experience in content development or in publicity department is useful.
Communications Manager Skills and Specifications
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- A basic knowledge about publicity campaigns and other commercial activities
- Ability to tap into the pulse of target audience in order to customize content and make it more effective
- Excellent analytical and observation skills
- A strong grasp on grammar, proactive writing, language and powerful writing
- Good leadership qualities
- An excellent eye for detail in order to spot mistakes in written drafts
- Must be alert and quick to grasp the requirements of the piece to be written
- Good computer knowledge in word processors
Communications Manager‘s Salary/Wage
Communications manager earns between $60,000 and $115,000 per annum.